Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Longarm Quilting - a baby quilt

Client J is having a baby!   I'm so thrilled for her, and I was especially touched that she wanted me to quilt her baby quilt for her.  

 Her quilt was pieced with oranges, whites and aquas 

 I did a lot of straight line ruler work on this quilt -  stitched all the chevrons along the seams, and then many parallel lines.   You would think that quilting a straight line with a ruler is easy.   Nope.   This one was a bit more challenging because I was making the lines on a 45 degree angle to the quilting frame.   I'm still trying to find some ways so that my machine ruler base doesn't 'catch' on the quilt or the ruler won't slip slightly.  So, I'm not perfect, but I did find myself obsessing over some wobbles here and there.
Figure 8's,  curves,  pebbles (large and small) spirals, and u-turns can be found throughout the quilt.

I extended the pattern of the chevron into the borders...

I love the back as it really shows the texture...

I will always say this, but I am so thankful that people trust me to try things out on their quilts.  I may not be perfect at it yet, but I know these experiences really takes me to the next level.
And I really appreciate that.

Monday, February 03, 2014

New Cutting and Pressing Table DIY

I've been using a great second hand table for my cutting table over the past year.   It is an older adjustable height table from Ikea -  (back when Ikea furniture lasted forever)  I've loved it, but I also needed a new pressing surface.  My ironing board just wasn't cutting it anymore, especially with some of the large tops I've been getting.  It was always wobbly, and just skimpy on pressing surface space.  So,  I thought I would make a larger top for my Ikea table.    

You've seen these tutorials everywhere.  I bought a 1" sheet of plywood and had it cut to 37" x 60" .  I chose that measurement to fit my cutting mat on one end, and pressing surface on the other end.    I placed a layer of 'insulator' batting, and then stapled a layer of 100% cotton batting.   Then, I chose an Ikea fabric I had on hand for my cover.  I haven't secured the plywood top to the table.  It is heavy enough that it is secure, and I like the option of removing it if I ever need to.   

Now my ironing board is gone, and even though my table is larger,  the lack of an ironing board has opened up the space in the studio.     

I've been contemplating this upgrade for awhile and wish i had done it sooner.   So easy and quick!

Also at Home Depot -  I found acrylic/plexiglass sheets for 13.95  -  a great way to audition your quilting designs on a quilt top.